At Lower Peover C.E. Primary School we believe that History encourages pupils to consider how the past has influenced the present, and how a variety of elements influenced people’s actions. History also develops the skills of researching and evaluating evidence, the knowledge of past events, civilisations and personalities and the concepts of chronology. Learning about the past can influence pupils’ attitudes to the present and the future. We use the National Curriculum History Guidelines as the basis for our scheme of work and will make meaningful links with other subjects of the curriculum. Our aim is to ignite a curiosity to learn about the past, that will help children to learn and understand who they are and how their environment and the world has changed over time.
The intent of our History curriculum is to deliver a curriculum which is accessible to all and that will maximise the outcomes for every child so that they know more, remember more and understand more. As a result of this they will:
- increase and develop their historical skills, concepts, knowledge and attitudes
- increase their understanding of the present in the context of the past
- develop and use their skills in enquiry, analysis, evaluation, and argument
- develop their interest in the past, arousing their curiosity and motivation to learn
- increase their understanding of themselves and their world by learning about the past